Sunday 5 January 2014

Standard Night Lords Army

After the first couple of test games where I tried out several things and discovered that the lack of mobilty was going to cause my a lot of issues especially since my force can easily appear all over the battle field and then be unable to support the various elements I had a sit down and tactical discussion with my friends who form the core of my gaming group.

We agreed that the terror squads work best in ten men squads and having two drop in makes sense, while they can all outflank I need the potential to target weak points in the middle of the battle field and without acute senses I cannot make too many guarantees with the arrival point of outflankers.

We also agreed the army needed long range firepower and a mobile reserve force, after going through the army lists a fair amount and discussing what we all thought would and would not work we came up with the following army list.

HQ - Praetor with jetbike, boarding shield, thunderhammer, trophies of judgement

Elite - contemptor-mortis dreadnought with 2 x twin linked lascannon
Elite - contemptor-mortis dreadnought with 2 x twin linked lascannon
Elite - dreadnought with flamestorm cannon, heavy flamer, dreadnought drop pod

Troop - terror squad with 10 volkite chargers, headsman witrh artificer armor and nostramen chainglaive in a drop pod
Troop - terror squad with 10 volkite chargers, headsman witrh artificer armor and nostramen chainglaive in a drop pod
Troop - terror squad with 10 volkite chargers, headsman witrh artificer armor and nostramen chainglaive outflanking

Fast Attack - 7 Night Raptors - one with meltagun, huntmaster with artificer armor and nostramen chainglaive

Heavy Support - deathstorm drop pod with krak missile launchers

The theory is that the Night Raptors provide some mobile support to the force and are able to back up which ever of the terror squads need it plus they have some range with their jump movement and charge which gets around some of the immobility of the terror squads. The Praetor is a high impact reserve option more than capable of wrecking vehicles as well as mugging units, a 2+ armour save, defensive grenades from the boarding shield, generally a jink save out of melee and a 5+ invulnerable in close combat and a toughness of 5 should keep him active in to the later stages of the fight.

The contemptor-mortis dreadnoughts provide some savage mobile long ranged firepower with BS5 and twin linked meaning they should be scoring a lot of hits through out the game and they are durable plus they can take advantage of night fighting like nothing else in my list. Added on to that if they do not move or run then they gain interceptor and skyfire giving my army some element of defence against the flyers which everyone seems to love at the moment.

The standard dreadnought is something of an answer to aegis defence lines and the like which are popular in my metagame, he can drop in and butcher swathes of gun line troops behind cover and the dreadnought drop pod gives him some element protection against interceptor fire especially when potentially combined with night fighting bonus'.

The deathstorm is an amazing option for the Night Lords, loads of krak missiles all firing at BS4, able to target multiple enemies and flexible in its deployment and best of all to me it is totally in keeping with the Night Lords theme so if I can only have one heavy support choice then I see no reason to not make it this one.

So that's the army plan as it stands, it is going to be tested some more in the near future, I think i have a battle against some daemons coming up which should be extremely interesting. I do not currently have many of the models, in fact all I own currently is the two normal drop pods and only one of them is assembled. I do have a unit of 5 catapractii terminators which I purchased since they look amazing and because originally I was going to be using Jago Sevatarion as my HQ and taking the master of the Atramentar and not having any terminators in his force felt wrong. Sadly they do not fit in to the basic list at the moment but since this list is only the starting point in my army collection they are going to see use and and they great models so I am happy to have them.

I should be getting a light box in the next week which will allow me to take some decent pictures of the painted models I have completed, when that is done I aim to begin posting them on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment