Monday 7 November 2016

Open days

So this weekend just gone I attended the warhammer world 40k open day, it is something I have seen advertisments for over the years but never been really in a position to attend but this time I had the time and money and decided it would be really useful for giving me the needed kick up the arse to get back to my hobby properly.

I really was not sure what to expect but it was an awesome experience, I got to spend a lot of time in the exhabition halls again really soaking in all of the models. I also got to attend a couple of the development pods, something I wish I had been able to do more of but they were incredibly popular which limited availability a lot.

The first one I attended was 'paintint faces' with Aidan Daly of the 'eavy metal team, this was a fascinating session which opened my eyes alot to the technical levels beyond everything I had been considering before with balancing the layers, adding hot or cold colours to empathise the tone of the model and how to apply the effects to draw attention to the face properly and then on to the eyes. Not sure how many of them I will be able to replicate, it did kind of show how far above what I have the patience and skill to accomplish that these professional painters are.

The second session was 'painting for gaming' with the awesome Mark Bedford who I had been fortunate enough to have a chat with before hand. This was all about my typical problem of being unable to finish a project due to being overwhelmed with the back log, changing my mind about the techniques to use half way through the project, being obsessed with a level of detail which is to be honest not needed for ploughing through the rank and file models as well as some amazing tips for getting a good effect from relatively simple techniques which hopefully will make me a better and more efficient painter. Best advice Mark had was to always use paints straight out of the pot when doing a whole force, cunning blending of colours is all well and good but sods law says you will not be able to get a perfect match when you next mix some up and thus you end up with subtle but noticable variances in the force which detracts from the overall appearance of the army.

Also got to enjoy a round of golden daemon and seeing some of the amazing models being produced by some insanely skill painters and modellers.
So now on to photo's, yes I took a lot and will share some on here for everyone.

Also worth noting that the exercise seems to have been successful as I have already spent some time painting this morning so once again progress is being made, hopefully I can get a decent amount done before I inevitably suffer a drop in motivation again.











So I love the stormbird model as you might be able to tell from the above photos, I was fortunate enough in the the studio area to get to see one under construction. While I had seen a lot of pictures of this on the web before I had not really been able to appreciate the scale of the model until I saw it in person, the construction photos have a pot of glue and some clippers in them which might help with the visualation of scale. 
Sadly I honestly think that i will not ever get one of these models, it is simply too massive for any normal battlefield, you need something specific for it which I do not think I will have any access to and thus would not be able to use this, and in my opinion if you cannot actively use it then sadly there is no justification to have one no matter how insanely awesome it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment