Monday 2 March 2015

Apocalypse - the set up and first turn

So here is the start of the run down of the apocalypse battle. After settling down and getting all of the models unpacked, comparing the size of armies and checking out paint jobs we started with the pre-game stuff. The dark eldar warlord trait was hatred for the unit, the combat drugs gave +1 strength to large chunks of my opponents force.
On my side Konrad Curze rolled up furious charge as his warlord trait to make him even more intimidating, my psyker revealed that he had mastered the psychic shriek, terrify and dominate powers which was not too shabby.
My opponent rolled for choice of table edge and got a 6 which worried me until it became apparent that Curze's precognition powers were kicking in as I too rolled a 6 and then won the roll off. Objective placement put a couple of them in the midfield, a couple in my deployment zone and one in my opponents which was not bad for either of us. The all important dice roll for deployment and first turn saw Curze continue to try and influence the outcome and I rolled another 6.








So there are the photo's of the set up, as you can see my opponent's side of the battlefield was covered in models, the volume of fire from a normal dark eldar army is scary but that was going to be savage. Assuming I did not have the initiative stolen off me I was going to have to really dish out the damage to try and mitigate some of it.

After the scout move of the outriders they were in a pretty advanced position ready to spin out and try to dish out some damage with their plasma guns - if only the model came with flamers in the weapon options....

My opponent did fail to seize the initiative and with that the night lords swung in to action.

Night Lord turn 1
Dropping down from orbit came two drop pods, the first slammed home right in front of the main battle line, the second slightly further to my left. Sevatar emerged from the central pod along with some terror marines and an apothecary hoping to last long enough to serve as a teleport homer for some more support. The other drop pod disgorged my infantry praetor and another terror squad with apothecary.
Curze and his unit jumped forward as fast as possible intending to get in and do some damage as well as supporting my left hand drop pod. Everything else advanced with the intention of doing as much damage as possible to reduce the incoming fire as much as possible.
The psychic phase saw Sevatar attempt to manifest his precognition power and I got one successful warp charge, my opponent only had one dice and promptly denied the witch with it - that was not going to help my plans at all.
The sicaran venator (represented by a land raider) managed to punch through the armour of a venom but I rolled really bad on the damage table and despite the +3 modifier I only immobalised it. The rest of my fire put a wound on a talos, forced a number of vehicles to jink, caused a couple of glancing hits and killed a couple of jet bikers but I completely failed to do the damage I really had needed to - this was really going to hurt.

Dark Eldar turn 1
With his force completely intact my opponent moved aggressively to apply maximum firepower, his jetbikes moved to threaten my backline while everything else got in to position. The shooting phase was sick and saw a contemptor blown to pieces, Sevatar's unit crippled down to 4 guys and Sevatar taking two wounds and facing down three units of 5 wyches about to charge him.
The other drop pod unit took a lot of fire, the praetor lost two wounds and 5 terror marines fell, they failed their break check and fell back 3 inches.
My jetbike praetor was hammered as well and again I could not pass 2+ saves and he also took two wounds and another member of the command squad fell taking fire for him.
The Sicaran's armoured ceramite helped but it still took a penetrating hit which prevented it moving in the next turn as well as forcing snap firing.
Curze was not targetted mainly because the primaris medicae with him had possession of a void shield harness and it was not worth the hassle to try and take it down when there were so many other interesting targets out there.
The assault phase saw all of Sevatar's unit wiped out but he caused some useful damage which was sufficient to allow him to pass his break check - a failed fear check by some of the wyches helped. The outriders were butchered by Drazar and his incubi and that was about it, I was hurting and if the battle was not going to be a complete white wash I was going to have to have a hell of a turn 2 to get back in to the battle. 






No comments:

Post a Comment