Sunday 24 August 2014

Battle and Army pictures



So yesterday my friend and I met up for a 3000 point battle in which I would be bringing approximately 2000 points of Night Lords and 1000 points of astra militarium against a significant force of daemons which I was not confident about. We had exchanged army lists beforehand and I knew my opponent would be bringing five flying monstrous creatures which is never going to be easy to deal with.
To start off on arrival I pulled out my Night lords so I could grab a couple of shots of them including the drop pods which were not going to be fielded in this battle but which have been painted and here are those shots. Sadly the terminator sergeant has suffered some issues with his power sword which is going to have to be worked on carefully to reverse without damaging the weapon if at all possible.





 The following picture shows the additional models also appearing in my army, not as impressive but needed until I can get my arse in gear and get a significant quantity more models completed for the Night Lords, fortuneately I can confirm that this battle has given me the kick needed to get back to work on the fire raptor and now most of the fuselage is base coated.

This is my opponent’s army, certainly not optimised but a serious threat for my force. It is a somewhat intimidating force and very well painted, my friend not being an expert painter tends to purchase his armies off the web which gives the benefit for compensating for his lack of aptitude/patience with painting. The only issue I tend to notice with this is expanding his force is somewhat difficult since it is hard to get anything with the same style of painting and basing.

The battlefield was the typical city ruins we tend to like and had plenty of terrain.

The mission we rolled was another of the maelstrom of war ones in which there are increasing numbers of objectives every turn. I won the dice off for table edge, deployment and managed to avoid my opponent seizing the initiative from me.
I am not going to do a turn by turn report but essentially what happened was the Night lords got off to an early lead constantly getting excellent objectives which were easily achievable and it looked like it was going to be a cake walk but my I rapidly lost units and coming to the end of turn 5 I was running out of units to block my opponent from scoring objectives and he was able to score 5 different objectives and rack up 7 victory points in one hit. This meant at the end of turn 5 he was a point ahead and the game continued, at this stage I had my librarian with one wound remaining, one terminator, a contemptor locked in close combat and two vendettas and while I was able to take down fateweaver with concentrated lascannon fire (he only had one wound left at this stage) to claim monster hunter and slay the warlord my opponents turn 6 saw him draw 5 easily achievable objectives and the game was called.
Realistically I was likely to be tabled in the next turn if it continued and there was no real way I was going to be able to fight my way back in to the game sadly.
Legion tactical squads churning out savage amounts of shots was very effective as was the Knight Commander Pask in punisher squadron which I have used in the past so effectively but the main thing for me was in one fight where a tactical squad were desperately fighting some bloodletters and bloodcrushers I managed to break my streak on artificer armour saves as the sergeant managed to pass something like 15 2+ saves on the trot before finally dropping, it was a truly epic achievement and while the sergeant was felled I think he is armour is going to be salvaged and passed on to a new potential hero of the legion.

I made a number of mistakes during the battle and as much use as the battle was the analysis between me and my friend afterwards was probably more useful and as always I think I learn something more about the army every time I field them and eventually I will get them to the point where I can field a proxy free army, and possibly I may even win with the night lords but I am not expecting miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment